it's funny that most of my favourit-est collections from the new york runway so far were all by asian american deisigners. now i'm not trying to be racist or anything, but am i seeing asian dominance in the fashion world?! lol
1. phillip lim: focusing on luxury at affordable prices, phillip lim's been my favourite designer for a while. despite the economy crashing down, business still seems to be doing ultra well in the land of lim, with sold outs and preorders coming in like brisbane hails!. below are some of the looks i like from his latest collections, in which he takes inspiration from the 60s and focuses on coats:
2. Alexander Wang: following his graduation from Parsons, Wang's been doing extremely well, especially with major support from anna wintour. His clothes are definitely for the younger, more daring market, and extremely popular amongst the downtown party kids. This season see him getting a bit more mature with his clothes, focusing a bit more on sharp tailoring, while still maintaining the daring rock edge he's been soo good at:
3. Jason Wu: after deisgning not one but TWO dresses worn by michelle obama, jason's been getting much more attention from buyers and editors. This season he worked on the winning formula: pretty and polished clothes:
4. Peter Som: peter som to me is the asian version of lacroix, although a bit toned down. I love his play with bold graphic print. With the closing down of Bill Blass recently, let's hope Mr Som can focus more on his own line and make it more fierce than ever.
5. Richard Chai: Apparently Phillip Lim's fashion bff, Richard Chai's clothes altho amazing are a bit harder to wear/pull off, ie. unless you look like one of those people from the Vogue Paris team, dont bother! jk. This season, you can see big shoulder jacket influence from Balmain n Balenciaga in Chai's runway.
6. Thakoon: This Thai journalist turned designer has been on a roll since dressing Michelle Obama. TO me, he represents sophisticated American. His beautifully executed clothes are on the same par with Carolina Herera, Oscar de la Renta. This season is a bit more disappointing since he's playing safe, and not exploding the runway with graphic prints that got him recognized on the new york scene.
I"m so excited i' m telling you. I wish all these designers all the best in the future. HOWEVER, there are TWO MILLION DOLLAR QUESTIONS that need to be asked?
1. when will we have an asian designer that will be able to storm the WORLD fashion runway with collections that are soo fashion forward they knock you over with their fierceness like gareth pugh, balenciaga, balmain, and lanvin?
2. When will we see dee ha dressing up Michelle Obama and party with Alexander Wang? lol!
Images from style.com
TheSartorialist.com RSS Feed
5 years ago